LASIK, also known as laser vision correction surgery, can correct nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism. However, LASIK isn’t right for everyone. If you are considering LASIK, you may wonder if you’re a candidate for the procedure. Our eye care doctors at Clearview Eye & Laser can determine your candidacy based on several factors, and can answer any questions that you may have about requirements for the procedure.
Basic Requirements for LASIK
There are a few general requirements that apply to everyone. All patients must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be in good general health
- Have no existing corneal disease
- Have had a stable eyeglass prescription for at least one year
Who Are the Best Candidates for LASIK?
Most individuals with farsightedness, nearsightedness and astigmatism can expect good results from LASIK. However, your Seattle eye doctor will consider health factors such as current retinal health, corneal tissue thickness and past eye diseases. Like all medical procedures, there are potential side effects to consider. While the goal of LASIK surgery is to reduce the dependency on glasses, you must be aware that having LASIK cannot guarantee 20/20 vision.
Am I Too Old for LASIK?
The short answer: No! There is no set maximum age to get LASIK. However, the overall health of your eyes is important. If your vision issues are related to a disease like glaucoma, then LASIK is not for you. Age-related matters, such as presbyopia, is also generally not influenced by refractive surgery.
What If I’m Not A Candidate for LASIK?
If you’re not a candidate for LASIK, that’s alright. There are other options that we offer at our Seattle eye care clinic.
- Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK): PRK is a great option for patients who have been turned down for LASIK due to activities in which a corneal flap is contraindicated. The final vision results are similar to a LASIK procedure.
- Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE): This procedure is a great alternative for patients who have presbyopia or where laser vision correction is not an option.
LASIK Eye Care Clinic In Seattle, Washington
LASIK can correct vision problems with minimal disruption to your work schedule in a simple clinic visit. Here at Clearview Eye & Laser, our experienced eye surgeons will evaluate you to see if you are a candidate and operate with the utmost care, along with answer any questions that you may have about the procedure.
Contact our Seattle office to schedule an appointment or to answer any further questions that you may have about your candidacy for LASIK. We have two offices located in West Seattle and Highline/Burien for your convenience.